Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Being Prepared

I am sure most people heard about Hurrican Ike and it's wide path of destruction. It really hits home about the importance of being prepared especially when it affects us personally or someone we know. My sister lives in Houston and she is now enduring day six of no electricity. In a city this large (about 3-4 million people) there is no guarantee when the power will be restored or when they do not have to continue boiling their water due to contamination problems. To add more stress to the situation, she works for a dentist in Clear Lake , an area which suffered significant damage, and it appears the dentist office was destroyed. I think to say she is enduring is probably putting it mildly. I am so grateful the church always stresses the importance of being prepared with adequate food storage and preparing ourselves spiritually and financially. I have had to learn some hard lessons from this. We were not prepared for the hard winter that prevented Ian from working concrete for many months and then Lena's health problems. Although everything worked out alright , I try to keep reminding myself to be prepared! I do know if we are prepared it can help ease some of the stress that all of us have to endure during our trials.

2 comments:

Chanda Starr said...

What a great reminder. Sometimes it is frustrating when you want to get prepared but it takes all you can to stay afloat from daily things. Guess I need to remember to baby step and take on one way to be prepared at a time. I hope things go well for your sister and that she is able to get back to normal as soon as possible.

Heidi and Robert said...

Thanks for the great post. I've wondered myself how our family would fare if we had been in the hurricane. I try hard to be prepared but you never know until you're experiencing it firsthand. BTW, I had forgotten you had lived in the great place of Garden City (note the sarcasm). We live on Center St, just north of the YMCA. Adam attends Jennie Wilson Elem. It's right across the street from the Y. The Aceves family visited GC last weekend. They might move here. It was fun to see them.